|Summary||A paranoid, retired admiral who will shoot anyone who bothers him.|
|Goal||Lynch every criminal and evildoer|
|Has Night Ability?||Yes|
|Abilities||May go on alert during the night. If he goes on alert, will automatically kills any player who targets him that night.|
|Categories||Town Killing, Town Power|
|Investigator||Murder, Destruction of Property.|
- If you go on alert Night 1 in a full house, you are more likely to kill a Town member than an Evil role. It is generally advisable not to go on alert Night 1, however, this does leave you vulnerable. It is up to the player to decide if it is a good idea whether or not to go on alert in the early days of the game.
- If the Mafia discovers who you are by having a team member die to you, it can be a good idea to reveal yourself as the Veteran to the Town, so that Town members do not inadvertently kill themselves. However, if a Serial Killer, Arsonist, Witch, or etc. is still in play, you are foregoing the opportunity to ensnare and kill them. You should consider the risk/reward of this choice every game depending on your unique circumstances. Since you will be a confirmed Town, in games with Private Messages enabled you should ask the Town to PM roles to you so you can assemble a list of who claims what. In some circumstances this will allow you to create a short list of who may be evil, as if two people claim Doctor when only one Doctor is possible in the game, then you know one of them is lying, and now you can direct the Investigative roles onto both of them to deduce who is evil. (See Role Call)
- If the Veteran does not have infinite alerts, some mind games may be played with the Evil roles. They will be unsure whether or not you have used up all your alerts, and may attack you on a night where they believe you won't go on alert or are out of alerts. However, if you have saved your alerts for the late game, then you may surprise them, but you will be gambling with your life on earlier nights by choosing to not go on alert. It is also possible that the Consigliere will visit you on a night off, thereby allowing the Mafia to figure out who you are at no loss to them.
- The Veteran can clear himself instantly if he manages to get a Town role to visit him and leave this in their last will. However, this strategy can be muddled by roles such as Witch, and this leaves most scum and Town players distrustful of visiting him. The above strategy does come into play here, and a confirmed Veteran becomes vastly more powerful as endgame approaches.
- Excluded from randoms - (Default: Off)
- Limited to 2 nights - (Default: On)
- Limited to 3 nights - (Default: Off)
- Ignores invulnerability - (Default: Off)
If both Limited nights options are unchecked, the Veteran will have infinite alerts available.
- If a person is killed by a Veteran, their death description will usually involve military-grade weaponry and sometimes frag grenades.
- If the Veteran chooses not to go on alert, and the Witch controls him, then the Veteran's ability will activate and the Witch will die.
- If the Blackmailer visits the Veteran when he goes on alert, the Blackmailer will die, but the Veteran will still be blackmailed.
- If a Bus Driver drives a Veteran on alert with someone, the Bus Driver will die but the targets are still switched for the night.
- Veterans cannot be role-blocked unless jailed by a Jailor.
- If a Veteran goes on alert, he cannot die at night to any sort of direct attack, full stop. Arsonists that doused the Veteran while not on alert will kill a veteran on alert if they decide to ignite on a following day.
|Town||Bodyguard, Bus Driver, Citizen, Coroner, Crier, Detective, Doctor, Escort, Investigator, Jailor, Lookout, Marshall, Mason, Mason Leader, Mayor, Sheriff, Spy, Stump, Veteran, Vigilante|
|Mafia||Actress, Agent, Beguiler, Blackmailer, Consigliere, Consort, Disguiser, Framer, Godfather, Janitor, Kidnapper, Mafioso|
|Triad||Administrator, Deceiver, Diva, Dragon Head, Enforcer, Forger, Incense Master, Informant, Interrogator, Liaison, Silencer, Vanguard|
|Neutral||Amnesiac, Arsonist, Auditor, Cultist, Executioner, Jester, Judge, Mass Murderer, Poisoner, Scumbag, Serial Killer, Survivor, Witch, Witch Doctor|